My Books & Stories (Amazon Page)

Friday, January 28, 2011

Amazon, baby!

My stories Any Minute Now and The Light Of An Oncoming Train went live on Amazon for $0.99 each as of today.

Yea, me!

I still list Smashwords as my publisher since it's through them that I get a free ISBN, but they can argue with me when and if that ever becomes an issue. Right now, I've got 2 stories up on what is probably the best platform for selling epublished works that was ever invented even though it might not have been invented for that purpose.

Somewhere, out there, there are people that my stories will, maybe, appeal to. They might even pay money to own their own copies of my stories.

I have 8-9 more stories currently awaiting approval over on Smashwords, probably another few days to a week to go. Two of those still need covers so it'll be 2 weeks or so before they go up and get approved. In a week or two more I will ge putting together an anthology to sell most of these stories as a package, but they'll all be going up to Amazon and Kindle as individual pieces for $0.99 each. The anthology will likely run $4.99, but I haven't completely decided there yet (I might undercut the price initially to give it a boost off the launch pad).

Just having 2 stories up on Amazon is very, very exciting. I did that!

I did the writing, as mediocre as some might say it is, and the covers myself.

I did.

That makes me proud.

I'm pretty goddamned good at certain things when I put my mind to it and no one is going to convince me that I can't or I'm not good enough or I am " years away from being professionally published."

To those that said and/or believe this, I say "Wake up. You're living in a different world, one that has just suddenly changed in ways you wouldn't understand anyway."

Yes, editors are necessary, but the editors of today had better start waking up and embracing the technology that new writers or early adopters are embracing or they are going to be left wondering where all the dust came from.

Plus, there's Heinlein's Rule - Never revise except to editorial request.

Kristine Kathryn Rusch says that most authors ruin their stories by revision.

Dean Wesley Smith has been putting up first draft (well, maybe with some spell checking done, I would hope) stories for the last several weeks and he's apparently happy with the results.

Me? I tend to revise a couple times before I put things up so some of the stories I'll be posting/publishing have been through multiple revisions. Almost all of them have also been critiqued over at Absolute Write by several people. I won't say I listened to any r all of the critiques nor revised to their comments, but I will say that every single comment had an impact on the stories I've written and posted in some fashion.

I'm still learning how to do this. Putting them out there for the public to say "Yea" or "Nay" is one of the bes ways to do so, in addition to being a good way to build an audience.

As I said, somewhere out there, there are people who will like my stories. I just got to let them have access to them.

No comments: